Search for University Jobs in Adjuncts
Coding Academy Instructor: Pre-College Programs
The Tufts Pre-College team is currently seeking a Program Instructor for our 2-week coding program: our Coding Academy Summer Intensive, offered by Tufts' University College to rising High School juniors, seniors, and graduating seniors. The Coding Academy will enable students to begin to master the skills necessary to build interactive applications (using Python) that solve real world problems, regardless of initial skill level. Coding Academy will offer two sections: Coding 101 and Coding 201. Students will have the opportunity to opt into Coding 201, prior to program start or after the first day, if they have previous coding experience. The mornings will begin with lectures separated by section and afternoons will unite both sections for joint skills building workshops, TechTreks, and app development time. Students will have the opportunity to visit local tech companies ('Tech Treks'), supplementing in-class instruction and introducing students to the vast array of career paths available in the ever-expanding world of technology.
Coding Academy will take place for 2 weeks during the summer from July 9th to July 21st, 2023. The Program Instructor can expect to work an average of 2-3 hours per week upon hire during the spring semester for pre-program planning, with full time hours during the 2-week summer program.
Program Planning: 2-3 hours/week February-June (flexible days/times)
Program Dates: July 9th to July 21st, 2023 (2 weeks)
Program Hours: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
As a Program Instructor, your duties include, but are not limited to:
- Identify guest speakers, recruit and hire TAs
- Program Preparation
- In coordination with the instructor, places students into TA groups, set-up Canvas, classroom sessions, other resources as needed
- Program Planning
- Develops and refines Coding Academy curriculum, syllabus, and block schedule
- Designs summer program schedule, including Tech Treks (3-4 trips), as well as any opening and closing activities, in coordinator with the Program Lead and Instructors
- Leads and instructs a group of students in an in-person instructional setting, maintaining high standards for behavior and safety from July 9th - July 21st, 2023
- Attends all program events from July 9th - July 21st, 2023
- Plans final project for students prior to program start with support of Program Lead and other instructors
- Assists students who are struggling with course content and proactively supports them as needed
- Serves as a positive adult role model for members in the program through appropriate dress, speech, attitude, and courtesy
- Evaluates program daily and suggests improvements, needs, hazards and recurring trends to Program Lead for further evaluation
- Demonstrates reliability and punctuality by arriving on-time for all scheduled activities
- Ensures student attendance is monitored during programming, reporting on attendance to guarantee that proper safety procedures are followed
- Submits final grades in a timely manner in accordance with Tufts University deadlines
- Other duties as needed
The total compensation for the Coding Academy Program Instructor position, inclusive of all planning and program time, is $6,050 compensation (standard summer instructor rate).
- Must be able to instruct students of varying skill and experience levels in multiple programs based on interest and ability
- Must demonstrate responsibility, a desire to help others, discretion, and flexibility
- Ability to work with students of diverse ethnic backgrounds, academic profiles, and skill levels
- Knowledge and ability to instruct students in coding languages (Python)
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organizational, and customer service skills (written and verbal)
- Adept critical thinking, process development, and operationalization. Strong attention to detail
- Excellent project management skills, prioritization abilities and navigation of tight deadlines
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Passion for learning and education
- Computer/Engineering/STEM/Education related majors or relevant experience
- Experience teaching high school or undergraduate students in coding and/or programming
- Game, web and/or app development experience using languages such as Swift and/or Blockly
Please send any questions to precollege@Tufts.edu
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Tufts University, founded in 1852, prioritizes quality teaching, highly competitive basic and applied research, and a commitment to active citizenship locally, regionally, and globally. Tufts University has also committed to becoming an anti-racist institution and prides itself on the continuous improvement of diversity, equity and inclusion work. Current and prospective employees of the university are expected to have and continuously develop skill in, and disposition for, positively engaging with a diverse population of faculty, staff, and students.
Tufts University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to increasing the diversity of our faculty and staff and fostering their success when hired. Members of underrepresented groups are welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. See the University’s Non-Discrimination statement and policy here https://oeo.tufts.edu/policies-procedures/non-discrimination/. If you are an applicant with a disability who is unable to use our online tools to search and apply for jobs, please contact us by calling the Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) at 617-627-3298 or at email@example.com. Applicants can learn more about requesting reasonable accommodations at https://oeo.tufts.edu/
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |